Buttermilk Country CakeOctober 12, 2008
Ran out of cereals this week, and yet to purchase more for breakfast with a 2Litre bottle of fresh milk sitting in the fridge, i decided to make use of it to make something~ *wink* Ran through the list, and set my heart to bake this cake by Aunty Yochana! the name of this cake makes me hungry~ country-style cake? must be something traditional and yummy!
Supposed to bake this in round cake pan, however with my chiffon pan just within reach, i decide to be lazy for now. Comparing mine and aunty yochana’s, mine seems to have a darker crust. same temperature and time, i guess either my oven temperature is higher than it supposed to be or baking in a chiffon pan caused the cake to brown ahead of time. :X But surprisingly, the cake turned out really soft and moist! love it this way, nice crumbs on the outside, soft and moist on the inside. DELICIOUS!
Made my own buttermilk, by adding 1 tablespoon of freshly squeeze lemon juice to the milk. added the lemon zest to the cake as well gives a refreshing taste in every bite. Interested in getting the recipe? Visit <aunty yochana’s> wonderful blog! or here~
80g egg yolks (about 4 small sized egg yolks)
160g buttermilk (i used, 160g low fat fresh milk + 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice, set it aside for 10mins before use)
5g vanilla (1 tsp) (replaced with 1 tsp of vanilla extract)
200g sifted cake flour
200g sugar (reduced to 100g)
15g baking powder
1/8 tsp. salt
1 whole lemon zest (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 175 Degree C.
- In a bowl, lightly combine the yolks with 40 ml. of the buttermilk.
- In a mixing bowl, combine all the dry ingredients and mix on low speed for 30 secs to blend.
- Add the butter and remaining buttermilk. Mix on low speed until the dry ingredients are moistened. Increase to medium speed and beat for 2 mins. to aerate and develop the cake’s structure.
- Gradually add in the egg yolk mixture and beat for another min.
- Pour batter into an 8″ round pan and bake for about 50 to 60 mins. or till skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool in the pan on a rack for 10 mins then invert the cake onto a cooling rack and leave to cool completely.
GOooooooood! I am so satisfied after baking this cake~ Thanks Aunty Yochana! *munch* i am glad i tried this recipe + adding the lemon zest makes this cake so refreshing~ KEEPER!
- .: Baker Lee :.