“A brownie is a small, rich, chocolate, baked cake-slice, named after its brown color.” (wiki) There are three types of brownies, cakey, fudgy and chewy. Cakey brownies have a more flaky crumb and cake-like texture. Fudgy brownies are incredibly dense, much closer to chocolate, while chewy brownies have a rich, chewy texture which falls in the middle of cakey and fudgy. The texture of the brownie is determined by the ratio of chocolate, butter, sugar, and flour.
Determine “best”? How can one gauge? >.< How can I determine which brownies recipe is the “best” when I only stick to one recipe? (With underlying meaning) *giggle* hee~ yes, all these while I have been using only this particular recipe which yields me cakey brownies. Felt really comfortable using it, as I have already tweaked it to my personal preferences, bittersweet, not too buttery, not too sweet… (>.<) But the time has come that I should try the other brownies recipes out there! I can hear them call out to me! “Try me! Try me!” *Evil laughter* If I never try them, I will never be able to know what I really like yea? =X Cakey? Fugdy? Chewy? (with MORE underlying meaning) *GASP*
“These are the epitome of soft, dark, “baked just until barely set” brownies. Their creamy texture makes them seem wildly luxurious and very much a treat to be metered out in small servings” – Julia Child
YES SMALL SERVINGS! GOSH!! These Europeans love super sweet stuffs yea? *pull hair* Yes I know that brownies are meant to be sweet >.< I stared at the amount of sugar required and stoned. =/ it calls for 450g of sugar! I should have reduced it to ½ the required amt just like my cakey brownie recipe. But as it’s my 1st attempt on this recipe, i reduced it by 100g. *smack head* should have trust my instinct!
However I like this recipe (^^,) See see! *point* crispy, crunchy crust, moist and soft on the inside. You should try it! Fudgy Brownies are delicious too! =D The next time i’m reducing the sugar to 250g! *nod*
140g plain flour
1 tsp salt
200g unsalted butter
110g unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
60g bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 large eggs
- Preheat Oven to 180 Degree C. Grease baking pan.
- Flour Mixture: Sift plain flour and salt.
- Chocolate Mixture: Melt Butter with Chocolate over a double boiler. Add in ½ the sugar, mix till dissolved. Remove from heat, add in vanilla extract and set aside.
- Sugar Egg Mixture: Beat together the remaining sugar with eggs, till well combined.
- Little by little, pour half of the Sugar Egg Mixture into the Chocolate mixture, stirring gently but constantly with a rubber spatula so the eggs don’t set from the heat.
- Whisk the remaining Sugar Egg Mixture until they are thick, pale, and doubled in volume
- Gently fold the whipped eggs into the Chocolate mixture, then fold in the Flour mixture
- Pour mixture into greased pan, bake for 25-30mins.
– .: Baker Lee :.