Homemade Vanilla Ice CreamFebruary 29, 2008
Vanilla Walnut Rum and Raisin Ice-cream. *grin* my motivation for the day~~ been staying away from the kitchen lately… “trying VERY² hard to concentrate” and do my coursework (5 of them!!) which are due this week~ >.< yea~ the last 1 I was doing was really tough to handle… clueless on wat I should! *sigh*
well, Back to the main point…… woke up this morning and saw whipping cream and milk sitting in the fridge, being me, I found the perfect excuse to hit the kitchen so that I will not feel guilty for neglecting serious work. *giggle* started surfing of recipes which calls for both whipping cream and milk… found an ice-cream recipe site instead!😄 and there’s instruction on making homemade ice-cream without the use of ice-cream maker!! WOOOOHOOOO~ so I head off to try their most basic vanilla ice-cream recipe!
It’s not as complicated as i expect it to be😀 just set the timer, mix the mixture hourly for 3 times and tada! u get homemade icecream~ it’s even better when u get to throw in the ingredients u fancy~ ^^ berries? nuts? it’s all up to our liking! Added in walnuts, raisins and rum to suit my family’s taste! Hee~ raisins for mummy, rum for dad and bro, and walnuts for me! *grin*
was cracking my brain on what to match it with~ the usual ice-cream cones or waffles? Pancakes? Brownies? Erm… and It suddenly strikes me, that I should munch it with bread! ^^ So off I go to make some colorful bread! 8) My 1st homemade Ice-cream on my freshly baked tri-color milk loaf!
I have been using this milk loaf recipe for some time… a year perhaps? But I have yet to make a post on it!! *gasp* Love the fluffiness of this loaf~ thus it is my all time fav loaf recipe~❤ Original recipe from Angie’s Recipes. yup! it’s the Hokkaido Milk Loaf! *clap* and today, i turn it into some colorful Play-Doh look-alike bread~ by adding strawberry emulco and pandan paste *laugh* alright~ here’s the recipe for the icecream! try try!😀
4 egg yolks
100g fine sugar (reduced sugar to 60g)
250ml double/heavy cream (replaced with whipping (single) cream)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
50g Walnuts (toasted and roughly chopped)
3 tablespoon of Rum (adjust according to your preference)
- Beat together egg yolks and sugar till thick.
- In a saucepan and scald the milk (bring slowly up to boiling point)
- Pour the hot milk into the egg yolks and sugar mixture whilst continuously stirring.
- Pour the mixture back into the pan and heat gently, stirring until the custard thickens ** DO NOT BRING TO THE BOIL**
- When you can see a film form over the back of your spoon it’s time to remove the saucepan from the heat. Leave to cool.
- When the custard base is cold, stir in the cream and then the vanilla extract, then transfer it into the deep dish bowl. Freeze in the freezer, checking on it after 1 hour.
- After 1 hour, it should start to freeze at the edges but not fully through to the centre.
- Take the bowl out of the freezer and beat the ice cream mixture until it’s creamy once again (to dislodge and break up the ice crystals that have formed) before placing it back into the freezer.
- Repeat this process (steps 7, 8 ) for a total of 3 times. *NOTE* the number of time you repeat this process affects the consistency of your ice-cream. If you like it softer, repeat the process up to 5 times.
- During the last beating, add in walnut, raisins and rum, mix well.
- Pour the mixture into storage container and freeze till set.
It sure taste yummy! ^^ homemade goodness all in a pint! with a little effort, u get to customize your fav flavors! *drool* i’m thinking of cookies, nuts, bananas + chocolate chunks ice-cream next!
– .: Baker Lee :.