Easter Special II – Hot Cross Donut MuffinsMarch 22, 2008
Easter is a time of rebirth and resurrection; celebrating the Resurrection of our Savior, LORD, Jesus Christ on the third day after His crucifixion.
Yes, part 2 of my Easter Special~ 😀 This time, Hot Cross Muffins~ *wink* Like my previous hot cross cookies, they follow the hot cross theme. Dried fruit(Cranberries and raisins), spices and top with a cross(cheese slice into strips, adds a taste of saltiness to the sweet topping! – the kind of experience when u have fries dipped with sundae ice-cream. That’s the way i love to have my fries 😛 ) These are my new favorite muffins! veeeeeeeeeeeeeeery soft, fluffy and yet easy to make! DEFINITELY A KEEPER!
As you can see, i made a few plain ones as well… simple,beautiful and classic look. This recipe yields me 8 big muffins. Mummy took 2 of them for breakfast. After breakfast, we are left with 4, i was intending to share some with my relative who stays just across the street, but they are so good that mummy refused to share! Claiming she wants them for tea! *laugh* I guess I will make more when I stock up on milk later! 😛
Like all muffins, these are 1 bowl recipe. Just mix till just combine, scoop batter into muffins cups, into the oven. TADA! 😀 Muffins! Hee~ This yummy recipe is taken from Hillbilly Housewife. Many thanks to the baker who created this recipe! My family is very very thankful! *curtsy*
1/3 cup (60g) shortening
1/2 cup (110g) sugar
1 medium egg
1-1/2 cups (190g) flour
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
3/4 cup (180g) milk
For The Topping: (mix and set aside)
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 175 Degree C.
- In a mixing bowl mash together the shortening and sugar.
- Add the egg and whisk it all up until it is smooth.
- Measure the flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg into the bowl.
- Pour in the milk.
- Mix the batter with a whisk/fork until it is just combine. do not overbeat.
- Drop the mixture into muffin cups. Make sure not to over fill the muffin cups, 1/2 to 2/3 full is full enough.
- Bake for 25-30mins, till an inserted skewer comes out clean and muffins top are slightly brown.
- Take the muffins out of the pan. When they are cool enough to handle, dip/brush the tops of the muffins with melted margarine/butter.
- Then dip them into the powdered sugar/cinnamon mixture.
* NOTE *
Make sure you use shortening, Not Margarine. The shortening gives this recipe it’s special texture.
1 word! YUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMY~ 😀
– .: Baker Lee :.