Snow Skin Lotus Paste MooncakeJuly 26, 2008
*Drum Roll* Introducing my very 1st homemade moon cakes! 100% homemade! Homemade snow skin with <homemade lotus paste>! ๐ I must say, it is pretty fun to make these lil ones! The only fuss will be the cooking of lotus paste, other than that, the rest is like ABC.
Ordered this mooncake mould from Elyn of Shop and Bake sometime back… received them in May and have been wanting to try them out! Been putting the thought on hold as It just seems too early to welcome Mid-Autumn Festival!
Recently, both Ling and I have been doing some “research” for recipes to try out, Yummy recipes from Aunty Yochana such as <this> , <this> , <this> and <this> really excites me! Before venturing into these “high level” recipes, i decided to start simple… ๐ so here it is… a simple plain snow skin with lotus paste.
Ingredients: (makes 10 x 5.2cm diameter mooncakes)
100g Koh fun (commercial fried glutinous rice flour)
70g Icing sugar
120g Cold water
300g Lotus Paste
50g Melon Seeds
- Sift Koh Fun and Icing sugar into a mixing bowl.
- Rub shortening into the flour mixture.
- Gradually mix in cold water till a soft dough forms.
- Scale and weigh 30g per portion for each mooncake. (According to the size of your mooncake mould.)
- Mix together lotus paste with melon seeds
- Scale and weigh 40g per portion for each mooncake filling. (According to the size of your mooncake mould.)
- Wrap each portion of filling with a portion of snow skin.
- Press into mooncake mould.
- Knock out and chill before serving.
Pretty impressed with the soft texture of the snow skin *yum yum* shall update on the texture of the snow skin after a few days. And for the mouldโฆ just like what Elyn promised! It is sooooo easy to use! ๐ no knocking or banging… 1 Word, NICE! ๐
*UPDATES* the snow skin stays soft for up to 5 days! ๐ i stored mine in a container and pop it into the fridge. the skin tasted soft even after chilling. can be consumed immediately out of the fridge unlike some snow skin which tasted kind of hard.
– .: Amanda :.